Global and Legal Resources
Upload Your Resume
Global Resource Center
Job Order Detail
Team Leader EGOM Appraisal Team
The EGOM is pursuing success through aggressive appraisal and exploration drilling plans. The Team Leader for the Eastern Gulf of Mexico (EGOM) Appraisal Team will be responsible for the coordination of all EGOM G&G&RE technical work and studies underpinning appraisal of EGOM discoveries. In addition, the EGOM Appraisal Team Lead will assume responsibility for evaluation of exploration prospects proximal to existing and new discoveries. The role is principally one of project coordination and delivery; however, the candidate will have a broad technical background in the geosciences, be familiar with reservoir engineering workflows in support of appraisal and will have a strong technical influence on the outcome of the project. EGOM Team objectives will cover the following at a minimum:
• Appraisal of Discoveries – Create and execute a technical subsurface work plan designed to achieve a subsurface reservoir definition and de-risking that allows informed commercial decisions.
• Prospect Evaluation – Structural, stratigraphic and reservoir definition in support of prospect sizing, risking and prospect/portfolio ranking.
• Technical Liaison – Liaison with Partners, third-party contractors and across teams/departments to ensure project work plans are effectively executed to a high standard. A critical component of the role is influencing partners technical and business decisions through the timely delivery and communication of comprehensive high quality technical evaluations.
The Appraisal Team will be comprised of staff with a range of traditional Geology, Geophysics and Reservoir Engineering skills as well as shared staff such structural geology, seismic processing, reservoir modeling and geochemistry.
The Team Leader coordinates the technical activities of the team ensuring that overall team objectives are met. He/she will be responsible for team assignments and ensure that the needs of the exploration/appraisal department are met.
The role requires effective communication in many directions. Principally, the Team Leader is a resource to the Appraisal/Exploration Manager and will be the first contact for any issues that arise in leading the team. In addition, the Team Leader facilitates the technical evaluation and helping staff achieve the highest level of technical quality on assigned projects. The Team Lead will assist in setting work priorities, coordinating data collection recommendations and supporting the Appraisal/Exploration Manager in generating materials for the Strategic Plan and Budget cycles.
REPORTS TO: EGOM Exploration & Appraisal Manager
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Leads subsurface technical effort in assigned area by coordinating work of team members.
• Maintains project technical work plans, monitors progress and keeps the plan on track.
• Recommends data collection activity such as proposed wells, seismic data acquisition or re-processing.
• Identifies additional resource needs to ensure project delivery.
• Responsible for identifying and proposing internal and third party studies in support of the technical work plan.
• Ensures all projects follow the corporate Appraisal Guidelines and Processes, coordinates with Technical Assurance team for Peer Review scheduling and Terms of Reference for reviews; ensures technical closeout of peer review findings.
• Provides technical and strategic assessment and input to Exploration/Appraisal management.
• Maintains good technical relationships with partners and serves as the point of contact and coordinator for partner subsurface technical discussions.
• Maintains key relationships within industry and academia in order to keep technical skills current in his/her specialty area.
• As a senior technical staff member, provides insights into competitor or partner technical efforts and appraisal or development strategies recommending ways for Nexen to exploit opportunities.
• Participates in peer-based risk and resource estimation processes; ensures such processes are adhered to in conducting his/her evaluations; seeks input from peers to ensure technical high quality is achieved in evaluations.
• Provides mentoring and technical assistance to staff.
• Tracks team members work attendance, training and travel plans.
• Reports to Exploration/Appraisal Manager
• Works with peers, Technical Excellence specialists and Technical Assurance to ensure highest technical quality is achieved
• Works with land and drilling departments in providing technical input on projects
• While staff still report administratively to Appraisal Manager, Team Leader will conduct team members’ performance assessments
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals grow in areas where competency gaps may exist.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Master’s degree in Geology or Geophysics, or a Bachelor degree with experience commensurate to a Master’s degree, is required.
• Minimum of 10 years professional oil and gas exploration and development experience working with or in a business unit cross-functional team or technology group.
• Familiarity with workstation-based interpretation systems and discipline-integrated reservoir modeling workflows is a must.
• Deepwater experience is preferred, with preference for Gulf of Mexico expertise. Similar deepwater experience in other basins in an Appraisal or Development role would be advantageous.
• Must be able to work in highly charged, fast-paced work environment and be able to simultaneously handle multiple projects.
Amanda George -
Cristian Patachia -
Connect With Us
Copyright 2012 by G.A.S. Unlimited, Inc.